Friday, February 24, 2006

Kansas, Protesters, Show Stoppage, and Steak & Shake

Today we're in Lawrence, KS. We received word that Pastor Fred Phelps and his crew might be protesting outside our show. Fred Phelps is a minister in Topeka KS. They apparently picket outside musical theater shows in the area because gay people are involved in musical theater, are heathens, and the public must be made aware. Here's their website. This is also what Fred Phelps looks like, along with a bio. Mr. Phelps's group is not just anti-gay mind you. You see, America allows gays in it, and therefore, America is evil also. So essentially, they are anti-America as well.

Unfortunatly he was not at our show tonight. We found out later that his group was protesting a funeral in Minnesota of a soldier killed in Iraq. To quote Lewis Black, "I will repeat that." His group was protesting a funeral in Minnesota of a soldier killed in Iraq. How insensitive can they possibly be? I actually wanted them to be at our show tonight; I would've had some pictures to put on the blog.

We had to stop the show tonight too. This is the 3rd time in the past week that this has happened. A leg of power was lost, cutting our stage power for our lights, well 98% of them. So halfway through Act I, the show was stopped for 14 minutes. Thanks to modern technology, I played 3/6 holdem in the pit and IMed with Karen. Yes, a paycheck well earned.

After the show, Jeff the trumpet player and I were going to go to a local brewery called Free State Brewery. Unfortunatly, they closed at midnight, so we did the next best thing. Went to the 24 hour Walmart across the street! I just picked up some mosturizer, this weather has been a bitch on my skin, let me tell you! I contemplated new sweatpants also as my favorites have ripped. I did not buy them.

We then walked to Stake and Shake and severly destroyed our diets. Oh well, a good night nonetheless. Tomorrow, off to Omaha NE, where my new Ipod is waiting for me at the hotel! (Or as our bus driver pronounces it, the HO-tel.) See you guys soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No pictures of said Walmart?

Gregg said...

nope, not this time...sorry