Saturday, December 18, 2004

Calling me down with 10 high, and destroyed by quads.

Phil invited me to a local 5/10 limit game near his house in Lindenhurst, so having no SPT this week at Ditty's I took him up on his offer. He assured me the game was easy, but no way did I expect what happended. We arrived and I sat down in the 2 seat, and they have a nice rule where as long as you come in behind the button, you don't have to post. I got garbage for a while and never even limped but I studied the players for a while to see who plays too many hands, who keeps winning, and more importantly, what they're showing down.

I sat patiently, and my first big pot was when I had QQ, and made it $10 to go. 5 callers and the board had all undercards by the river, and I won a $180 or so pot. The weird thing is that only one player called my river bet, and I shit you not, he had 10 high.....no pair.....just 10 high...The dealer told me I won a kill pot and now I had to throw $10 bux in forced, and it was essentially a $10/$20 game. Phil raised UTG to 20 and I folded my J 6, but oh boy, I could've spent that one bet when the flop came J 6 6. Phil ended up spiking a Q on the river and he took it down with AQ but still, I question whether or not I made the right play in such a loose game for 1 bet. Anyway....

I had doubled up my $200 buy in to $430 or so and I AA in middle position. Of course, there was a raise before me so I 3 bet it making $15 to go. 4 callers see the flop of 6 7 8 with 2 spades. Locke, a tight player (but I didn't know that at the time!!!!) in 1st position bets out, and I raise. 3 callers and Locke see a turn of a Kh. Locke checks, I bet 2 callers. Last card comes a 6d, Locke bets, I raise, and he pops me again! I have to call, and he flips over 66 for quads. What a friggin hand and I had my blinders on the whole time...didn't even pay attention to what was going on. I learned not to deal with him anymore and focus on the other players.

I turned trip Q's another hand with QK and got sucked out when an 8 hit the river and I had to pay off 2 bets to a guy with Q8. At one point I was down to $60, but I fought back to $160 and decided to cut my losses. Phil also bought Super System 2 off some guy there for $100, but he didn't care cause it wasn't his money from being up $500. Phil is a very good limit player, and I respect his game alot. We've talked about hands many times as we feel that we complement each other's game well, as he thinks I'm a better no limit player. A fun game with profitable players, including the bookie in the 4 seat who bought in for $100 10 times, and had no profit. The game is on Mondays and Thursdays, and since I have SPT on Thursdays, I think I know where I'll be on some mondays. Till next time!

No comments: