Friday, April 07, 2006

Poker and Drums!

As per Will's request, I will now post the losing sessions over the past 2 days that I've had. My first real downswing in a while really. Eugene, OR has a poker club right next to the theater actually. To keep it legal, they charge a membership fee, along the same lines of a greens fee for golf. I got a "day pass" for $5. Usually it's $25 a month or $100 for a year. $5 seems a little steep considering it's one night, but what else could they really charge? $3? Probably not.

The game was 1/2 NL Hold'Em, the game of choice these days it seems with most people. The buy in was $40-$200, and I sat down with the maximum. I didn't really do any action at all. I worked my stack up to about $230 and then the cold deck sat in. My read on the table was that pretty weak starting hands were being played and raises represented what the hand was basically. For example, a raise to $15+ was usually AA KK QQ JJ AK, a raise to $8-$10 was usually 99 88 77 66 AJ AT A9 and so on. The game was action packed though with lots of players seeing flops and gambling more and playing poker less. I just needed a hand when the following hand came up.

UTG raises to $7 and I look down at ThTd. Usually my play in this situation is to reraise to about $22, but for some reason, I couldn't pull the trigger. I was scared for some reason which was reason number 1 to leave the game. There was a HUGE stack of about $800 to my left and I was worried about getting run over as he plays almost every pot. In the first of many bad moves, I only called the raise, and the mega stack to my left decides to raise it to $22. The blinds flat called the reraise, as did the original raiser and I did too. The flop came 942 with 2 hearts. They checked to me, and for some reason, (mistake #2) I decided to check also to see what the other player did. Unfortunatly, he checked behind and we saw the turn which was the Ah. SB checked, BB bets $4 into a $88 pot. It then went fold, and I called with the Ten of hearts. The original reraiser now folded! Wow, ok, can I play this game any more passive? The river was a 3c and the BB bet out $4 again and I was forced with a decision. There was $100 in the pot and I ran through the hands I could beat. I couldn't beat an Ace obviously, but I could beat any 9 or other pair. I don't believe he had a flush or a straight, and quite honestly, I was stumped by what he could have. I thought my best chance was to try and get him to fold to take the pot and I raised an odd amount, of $37 to make it $41 to go. He looked upset and started talking to himself to see if I had a flush, or a straight. He called after not a long time really and showed A4o. I tapped the felt and mucked my hand. Hmmmm, I played that hand so awfully, I probably deserved to lose some money.

After that, I couldn't get anything going and played "get even poker", which is awful to do. Sign #2 that I should have left. I eventually got my last $79 in the pot with the nut flush draw against top pair. I had two chances to hit it, but missed and that was that. Night #1 in the books.

I went back the next night for more punishment, but I thought honestly it was a game I could beat. I sat down with the maximum again and folded for quite a while. There was a player 2 seats to my right who was playing 80% of the pots and playing most of them for a raise. He honestly was not very skilled as he had 2 raise increments. $25 and $12. I took them for what they were worth strengthwise and after a $12 raise, I called with 45c. The button also called as did the BB and we took the flop 4 handed. The flop was 678 rainbow and I had flopped the low straight. The BB checked, and the raiser led out for $25. I raised it to $65. The button and BB folded and the original raiser moved me in. I called my last $86 and he showed top set of 8's. Not exactly the hand I wanted to call me. I'd rather him have TT or 99. The turn was a 4, and the river was...another 4. Ouch, quite a dagger to the heart. So that night was all of 55 minutes and -$400 for the 2 sessions.

Online though my sessions have been much better, practically evening things out for the week. I'm disappointed though at my overall results in the live game. You should always walk away when you know you can't beat the game. My timid play on the first night should've been enough for me.

On a much brighter note (pun maybe intended), I purchase a brand new drumset today! My first new piece of equipment in about 15 years. It's a Gretsch Renown Maple Kit, and the color is the beautiful Autumn Burst. This probably doesn't mean alot to anyone, but I'm excited nonetheless. It will be waiting at home for me when I get home May 8th. Speaking of coming home, we close in California on May 7th with a 3pm show. I have a redeye booked that has me flying out of LAX at 855 pm landing in Islip at 857 am. I then go right to Gateway for an 11 am rehearsal all day and all night. I love the work, but this day will certainly be crazy.

What was the point of this? Oh yeah, my NEW drums will be waiting for me at home as my current drums will be on a FEDEX delivery truck somewhere in California. This way I'll be able to do the shows at Gateway until my drums arrive home.

Another long one in the books. Starting today, we're up in Washington for a while where I'll be seeing Will and Erin on Monday. Can't wait, it'll be great to see them both.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have went with Turquoise Oyster

Gregg said...

Turquoise Oyster, while a nice choice, is more expensive, and I didn't feel like paying a few hundred more for a different wrap in color.