Thursday, February 03, 2005

Report from Eddie's game on 2-2-05

I almost didn't go. Having my first class of grad school this semester and getting into my car at 7:30, I gave up all hope of getting to Eddie's by the 8PM start time. Somehow though, I got to his exit at 8:02 and decided to swing by and see if I could still get in. Luckily they were JUST about to start and I was able to get a seat. Buy in was $30, and there were 23 players on 3 tables. I pulled a table of almost unknowns to me, so I played the waiting game early to see who was capable of what. I actually got no hands for a while and lost 1/3 of my stack early on in a hand that I did have.

I saw a free flop in the BB with 94o. Flop came J96 rainbow and I bet 200 into a 300 pot. I got one raiser and no callers, I called with hopes of hitting big or folding. A 9 peeled off on the turn and I checked and the guy put me all in. I called and he had KJ and I had life once again. I really don't remember winning any more hands before we combined for the final table.

When we combined, 2 people had half of the 69,000 starting chips. I had 2800 and the chipleader sat directly to my right. The rest of the players had very low stacks too, so it was a constant all in battle between the short stacks. I ventured to guess that I could wait for other people to gamble crazily before I picked up a hand and maybe move up into the money. Final table was 10 handed and only 4 paid out. This would be an uphill climb.

I was dealt into the SB with binds of 300/600 and got 24o. Action before me and I folded. I picked up nothing for about 5 hands. 1 player got eliminated and in the SB again, a player in middle position limped in and the button chipleader, raised and said he'd put me all in. I hadn't looked yet and saw AA. I thought about it and the guy asked me, "what do you have, aces?" I told him no but it was good enough to gamble with. The limper also called here and we took a flop of QQK. The limper bet out 4K, and the chipleader after much thought folded. I asked him "AQ?" and he said "jacks". WOW! I was still alive. After more than tripling up with the antes and other blind, I was back in business.

Very next hand on the button it passes to me and I find AT. I'm up against 2 blinds who are very short stacked with 1500 and 1200 total. I go all in and just the SB calls with J9. Flop comes JK3. I shout for a Q. Turn is a 4. River is a Q! Another player down and more chips for me.

The chipleader then became relentless and I guess was pissed that he wasn't dominating the table anymore. So he started to run over everyone, and now that I wasn't in a position to gamble anymore, I let him and he picked off 2 more people. Now 5 handed, we're on the bubble. I find AK on the button. The chipleader raises 4K more from the 600. Now I have a decision. No doubt I have the best hand, but do I want to gamble with a 60/40 all in here? Or what if he does have a pair? Then I'm 50-50 and I don't really HAVE to gamble here. The blinds are coming around so fast, I'm pretty much guaranteed money here. I decide just to call, and the flop comes with garbage. He bets 3500 on the flop and I raise to 8000. He folds and I show him the AK to show that I had a hand, not necessarily on the flop but that you can't run over me everytime.

A few hands later I get AA again! C'mon really? It was ridiculous the cards that kept coming. Chipman raised it again, and I decided that he wouldn't call my all in so I re-raised him about 3x his raise. He called and we saw a flop of QQ9. He checked and I bet 10K. He folded and I showed it again. He was really getting upset at the cards I was catching, and frankly, I couldn't blame him.

5th place busts out, and now we're in the money. We trade back and forth for a few hands and on the button the following hand occured. Blinds 400/800 with a 100 ante. The chip leader raises out another 5000. I look down to see KK. I didn't want to see a small pot develop here, so I go all in for about 16K. The SB calls and BB folds and the chip leader says that he would call if the other guy didn't. SB shows AT. Flop comes ATJ. I shout for another Q to save me like last time, and on the river AGAIN, another damn Q comes out. I couldn't believe it.

We play 3 handed for a little while and I start to chip away and the old chipleader, as I've taken the lead now. One hand he raised to 4K and I called in position with 86d. Flop came 9T6. He checked and I bet 6K. He thought about it and asked how much was in the pot. Eddie said 8300 and he called. Now what could he have? What kind of draw that he wanted a price on? He hasn't done this the entire game, so I put him on QJ or something similar. A 3 peeled off on the turn and he checked again. I bet 8K this time, not leaving me with much, but I the pot was huge. He eventually folded and I didn't show it this time. He wanted to see a river card and an 8 came off and he groaned. Maybe he did have the draw I thought, the world may never know.

I eventually got AQ and just went all in after the player on my right had raised on the button and I was in the SB. The BB folded and he decided to take a stand with A6d. No help came for him and now we were heads up.

Next hand, I get AQ again and go all in and SB folds. I go all in 3 more hands in a row. No calls. Finally, the guy raises half of his stack on the button to 2800, and I have A4c. I go all in and he calls with K9o. No help for him and I take down the victory and a $265 1st place. I should play more often when I'm sick as I seem to be on somewhat of a roll lately. Being outchipped almost 10-1 when you get to the final table and winning is nothing short of miraculous/lucky as hell. I got AA 2x KK once and a plethora of big aces. This game's easy when you get the cards! And to think I almost didn't go.....

No comments: